As we reported over at N8Geeks, Nokia have recently announced the release of the new Ovi Maps at the Nokia World convention earlier this week, which boasts great new usability, a refreshing new look and its very own social check-in service, similar to the Facebook Places check-in service that was recently released on mobile devices in the US and UK with an uproar of discontent.
Okay, a few new additions, but nothing too impressive I hear you cry? Well, the new Ovi Maps 3.06 Beta brings many more features and functionality to Nokia devices and in particular the Nokia N97, which only helps to improve your overall experience of the application and the end user experience.
So, what else does the update bring? The list is as follows.If you want to download the cool new software and try it out before everyone else then check out the information after the video below. If you also want to check out the cool new check-in service by Nokia, you can do so by viewing the video – it looks pretty awesome if you ask me.
- Pinch to zoom – now Nokia N8 users can have a similar experience to iPhone users via the Maps application (only available on Symbian^3 devices)
- Visual enhancements – visually superior main menu and icons
- More maps and public transport – new maps with public transport lines (added as a new map layer) for subways, trams and trains in 80+ cities around the world. Just click the map icon and select transit lines
- Check in – keep your friends up-to-date with where you are and what you’re up to. Check in to places and share it with your friends on Facebook and lots of other social networks. See places you’ve been to in your check-in history
- New drive assistance mode with live traffic flow – after clicking drive, you’re automatically in drive assistance mode with live traffic flow and more. Once you start moving, get safety camera alerts and speed limit warnings
- Improved search functionality – now you can find places and addresses that are around you – or anywhere else in the world. Browse places or enter a keyword in the search box. Now with suggestions and “did you mean?” functionality
- New place pages – with description, reviews, pictures and places nearby. Interact with places in a whole new way – you can check in, contact, save, navigate, rate, share, report or even see place on the map
- Share a place – now you can send a place to your friends via SMS or Email. The SMS contains the address and a link to the place page with description, ratings, contact, URL and a mini map. Once clicked, the link will open up in your browser and can even be accessed by non-Nokia users.
Nokia Ovi Maps Beta 3.06 check-in service preview video
Suprisingly, there is yet to be a backlash for Nokia's choice to add a check-in service, which updates seamlessly with Facebook. This wasn't the case for Facebook's own branded check-in service, which was met with uproar from users and privacy campaigners. But, who, realistically would actually have a friend on their 'friends list' that would potentially mug, rob or hurt them?
How do I get my hands on the Nokia Ovi Maps Beta v3.06?
To get your hands on Nokia Ovi Maps Beta 3.06 then simply head on over to Nokia Beta Labs and download your copy today. If you’ve installed the application, let us know what you think of the updated software and how it could possibly be improved. Not impressed? Tell us why!